Battle of Marib (2021–2022)
The Battle of Marib was a battle that began in February 2021 following the advance of the Houthis towards the city of Marib, the capital of Marib Governorate in Yemen controlled by the Cabinet of Yemen. On April 1, a United Nations sponsored two-month nationwide truce took place until October 2022.
Timeline
2021
February
On 22 February, the media center of the pro-Hadi Yemeni army claimed that 70 Houthis were killed and others were injured or captured in the western outskirts of Marib city. Hadi government military officials reported that "hundreds" had been killed since the start of the Houthi offensive, and that the majority of those killed were fighters rather than civilians. One military official described the situation in Marib as a "blood bath". Loyalist defenses in Sirwah collapsed, with the Houthis advancing to within 20 kilometers of Marib city.On 23 February, Yemeni local sources close to the Houthis said that the city of Marib was being encircled from three directions. On the same day, pro-Hadi government and al-Isah sources reported that General Nasir al-Barhati was killed by an airstrike at al-Meel camp along with ten of his bodyguards. Four days later, it was reported that the commander of the special forces Lt. Gen Abd al-Ghani Shaalan was killed while fighting the Houthis in Serwah near Marib; an investigation was carried out by the Hadi Government Ministry of Defense regarding his death. On 27 February, it was reported that Colonel Nofal al-Hawri was also killed while fighting the Houthis.
March
On 2 March, Yemeni local sources close to the Houthis reported heavy fighting on the outskirts of northwest Marib city with Houthi forces advancing towards the area of Sahn al-Jan camp which overlooks Marib city.On 3 March, the Houthi deputy foreign minister reported that the Houthis had taken control of 10 out of 14 districts in Marib. The foreign minister of the Hadi government said that the Houthis had launched more than 15 ballistic missiles towards Marib during the preceding week. Houthi forces were reportedly working to surround all districts of the city.
On 4 March, the pro-Hadi government Yemeni army restarted an offensive against Houthi fighters in Taiz, possibly to relieve pressure for pro-government forces in Marib as well as to divert Houthi manpower to other frontlines elsewhere in Yemen.
On 6 March, clashes between the Houthis and Hadi government forces left at least 90 combatants dead on both sides. Yemeni regional media close to the Houthis said that Saudi coalition aircraft targeted by error reinforcements of the Hadi government forces approaching Marib from Shabwah and Abyan, leaving 84 killed and 56 wounded. The friendly fire event was followed by a restriction made on media from reporting friendly fire events on Hadi government controlled areas. Hadi Government officials denied the claim adding that no "friendly fire" event took place.
By 8 March, the Houthi-led Yemeni Army breached the northern gates of Marib city after fierce battles between them and Saudi-led forces. In the following days up to 16 March, clashes continued in the northern and western outskirts of Marib between Houthi forces and the Saudi-led coalition east of Sirwah, Medghal, and Marib Dam.
On 21 March, Saudi media reported that the Royal Saudi Air Force managed to halt a Houthi infantry and tank offensive in Al-Ksarah with air strikes and inflicted losses on them.
On 22 March, Saudi Arabia offered the Houthi government a nationwide ceasefire plan. The Houthis rejected the offer, saying it did not address their desire of lifting the siege on the country.
On 23 March, Houthi forces shot down a Saudi Arabian CH-4 drone over Marib, displaying footage of the shot down.
On 27 March, Major General Amin Al-Waeli was reported killed northwest of Marib while fighting Houthi forces. Al-Waeli was the leader of the Sixth Military Region for the Hadi-led government forces.
On 31 March, Brigadier General Saleh Ladhimd al-Obab was reported killed near northwest Marib while fighting the Houthis. Some sources say he was ambushed among its bodyguards while others reported he was killed by a mortar attack. During the same day, Houthi forces were reported to have captured the areas of Hamat al-Hamra, Hamat al-Dhiyab, Dash al-Haqan and Idat al-Raa, thus inching closer towards Marib from the west.
April
On 1 April, the Saudi-led coalition said it destroyed a ballistic missile Houthis prepared to attack Marib city.On 2 April, a Houthi commander named Qussai Al Ammari was reported killed in Al-Kasarah west of Marib during clashes with pro-Hadi Government forces.
On 3 April, Houthi forces clashed with Hadi Government forces near al-Kashab with reports of making advances within 9 kilometers from Marib city. However, regional media close to Hadi forces claimed they foiled the Houthis' attack with aerial support from the Saudi-led coalition.
On 6 April, an RSAF airstrike killed Houthi General Abdul Latif Hamoud Al-Mahdi who was the commander of the Houthi fourth military region. General Al-Mahdi was No. 29 on the Saudi-led coalition most wanted list with US$5 million in reward for in intelligence leading to his arrest or death. The same day regional media close to Houthis reported the death of three Hadi Government military leaders, including Brigadier General Yusef Mahdi al-Badaji of the 107th Infantry Brigade and two al Jawf militia leaders.
On 7 April, Maj. Gen. Mohammad Mashli al-Harmali, commander of the Seventh Military District of Hadi forces, was killed on the battlefield west of the city of Marib. He was killed in a Houthi missile attack on the positions of Saudi-led forces west of the city of Marib.
On 17 April, pro-Hadi media reported that Hadi government forces had recaptured the Alam Mountain Range between the areas of Al-Mashjah and Al-Kasarah west of Marib after 48 hours of fierce battles with heavy air support from the Saudi led coalition.
On 18 April, Yemeni regional media close to the Houthis claimed that the Al-Qaeda leader in Yemen, Salem Saleh Balqfal was killed while fighting in the north of Marib city, while leading an attack on Al-Mashjaha along other foreign fighters.
On 19 April, during fighting between pro-Hadi forces and Houthi forces, Abo Khaled Al-Sufyani, the Houthi commander of Al-Kasarah front was killed. Al-Sufyani was the third commander of Kassarah front to be killed since the beginning of the Battle of Marib. The same day, numerous tribal factions in Marib Governorate attacked pro-Hadi forces in an attempt to free people imprisoned by them. This resulted in multiple casualties on both sides as well as bombardment of the tribal factions by the coalition.
On 20 April, Yemeni regional media close to Hadi loyalists claimed that a Hezbollah advisor named Abdullah Aun Tbekh was killed while fighting with Hadi forces west of Marib.
On 22 April, Houthi commander Mohammed Al-Radhi Gharbi was killed during clashes between Houthi and government forces.
On 23 April, Yemeni regional media close to Hadi loyalists said Hadi government forces captured parts of Rahbah district with help from tribesmen and air support from the Saudi-led coalition.
On 24 April, Hadi government officials reported that a total of 2,000 Houthi fighters and leaders had been killed since the beginning of the offensive two months ago as well as 1,800 Hadi government soldiers, military commanders and allied tribal fighters.
On 25 April, military officials told AFP that Houthi forces had captured the northwest Kassara battlefront amid clashes that left 65 dead on both sides during the previous two days, with Houthi forces coming within six kilometers of Marib's city center. A Hadi government commander, Major General Abdullah al-Hadhari was reported killed by Yemeni regional media while fighting in Marib. However, the Hadi government's information minister, Moammar AL-Eryani, denied the news that Houthis had taken control of Kassara and expressed his "deep regret that a global agency has been subject to misinformation and has promoted unfounded news".
On 27 April, Hadi government officials reported that they managed to thwart a 'massive' Houthi attack on Marib. However, they said that the Houthis had advanced in four areas of the Mashjah front.
On 28 April, Hadi government officials said that their forces recaptured positions that were previously taken by Houthis days before, in Al-Mashjah in the district of Sirwah.
On 29 April, a senior officer in Hadi government forces was killed in clashes with Houthi rebels, the Yemeni Defense Ministry and General Staff said in a statement that Brigadier General Abdul Ghani Mohammad Salman died.
May
On 1 May, clashes in Wadi Nakhla and Talaat al-Hamra resulted in the death of Gen. Salih Darham al-Ramadi, commander of the Hadi government forces 129th Brigade.On 5 May, the prime minister of the internationally recognized government Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed visited the city of Marib as the Houthis' offensive to capture the governorate appeared to be faltering.
On 25 May, Saudi and Yemeni media close to Hadi government reported the killing of Hezbollah expert named Mustafa Al-Gharawi north west of Marib in an airstrike by Saudi-led coalition. The Information Minister in the UN-recognized government of Yemen Muammar Al-Eryni said Al-Gharawi's death on the Marib front line showed the "magnitude of Iran's involvement in the Yemeni war".
June
On 5 June, 17 people are killed and 5 more are wounded during a rocket attack near a petrol station in Marib city. The Government blames the Houthis, who in turn, claim they only attacked a military camp and would welcome an independent investigation to the attack.On 21 June, Houthi forces announced the shot down of two ScanEagle drones in Marib, displaying the shot down film of one of them, and the wreckage of both.
On 29 June, two missiles fired by the Houthis on Marib killed 3 people, including a child, and wounded at least 10 people.