Plebgate
"Plebgate" was a British political scandal which started in September 2012. The trigger was an altercation between Conservative MP and Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell and police officers on duty outside Downing Street. Leaked police logs, later apparently backed up by eyewitness evidence, suggested that Mitchell had sworn at police officers and called them "plebs" when they refused to open the main gate for him as he attempted to leave with his bicycle, telling him to walk through the adjacent pedestrian gate instead. Mitchell apologised, stating that he had used bad language but denied using the words claimed and in particular calling police officers "plebs". However, finding his position untenable amid intense media scrutiny, he resigned from the post of Chief Whip a month later.
The story returned to the headlines a few months later when CCTV footage threw into doubt the police version of events. Further, evidence originally included an email from a member of the public confirming the police's story. It was revealed this email was actually sent by a serving police officer who had not been present at the scene. The Metropolitan Police investigated the incident as Operation Alice.
The affair was revisited again in October 2013, after a report from the Independent Police Complaints Commission concluded that three officers had given a false account of a meeting they had with Mitchell at his constituency office in October 2012, and that the findings of a subsequent investigation had been changed just in time to recommend no disciplinary action be taken against them. After both Home Secretary Theresa May and Prime Minister David Cameron criticised the conduct of the officers involved, the officers issued a statement in which they apologised for misleading the public. At the Old Bailey, PC Keith Wallis subsequently admitted falsely claiming to have witnessed the incident. He was sentenced to 12 months in prison.
Once the criminal trials had concluded, Mitchell sued for libel. The judge ruled on the balance of probabilities that Mitchell had said "the words alleged or something so close to them as to amount to the same including the politically toxic word pleb."
Incident and initial aftermath
On the evening of Wednesday 19 September 2012, at about 7:30 pm, Mitchell left the office of the Chief Whip at 9 Downing Street, the street containing the official residence of the Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer, which is under heavy security and has been gated since the 1980s. Mitchell, who was cycling, swore when a police officer told him to exit through the pedestrian gate rather than by the main gate. The official police log of the incident states that Mitchell said:Best you learn your fucking place. You don't run this fucking government... You're fucking plebs.
The log reported Mitchell as saying:
you haven't heard the last of this.
On Thursday 20 September, before the incident was publicly reported, an email was also received by John Randall, MP, the Government's Deputy Chief Whip. It appeared to offer independent corroboration of the version of events in the police log. The author stated that he was a member of the public who had been present outside the gates of Downing Street at the time, with his nephew from Hong Kong; and that the incident had been witnessed by other tourists nearby. This email later proved to be false, and in fact came from a police officer who had not been present.
These allegations became known in the media as "Plebgate". Members of the West Midlands branch of the Police Federation of England and Wales, Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper and a leader column in The Daily Telegraph called on Mitchell to resign or be sacked.
The affair has occasionally been referred to as "Plodgate". The Week magazine called it "Gategate", which was picked up by BBC News and Business Insider, with the latter saying that this use of the -gate suffix for scandals had taken "the practice to its logical conclusion" as a "new height of absurdity".
Apologies and eventual resignation
Mitchell apologised on 21 September, saying "I admit I did not treat the police with the respect they deserve", but he denied swearing or calling the officers "plebs". However, he later admitted to saying "I thought you guys were supposed to fucking help us." John Tully, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said that Mitchell's account was contradicted by notes made by two officers at the scene. The Chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales commented that "It is hard to fathom how someone who holds the police in such contempt could be allowed to hold a public office. Mr Mitchell's half-hearted apology for the comments made whilst leaving Downing Street will do little to build bridges with the police".Five days following the event, on 24 September, Mitchell apologised a second time for his behaviour, saying "I didn't show the police the amount of respect which I should have done", but stated that he did not use the words that had been attributed to him. He did not specify which words he was referring to. John Tully said "It is not the words, police officers are quite thick skinned, what infuriates me here is that a minister is saying police officers are liars. There is a clear difference of opinion, and we need to establish what happened." The same day, Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood confirmed in a letter to Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper that there would be no inquiry into Mitchell's outburst because, although the outburst was "disappointing", the officer had accepted Mitchell's apology.
Mitchell's apologies failed to end the criticism, and media commentators and political opponents continued to call for his resignation. Mitchell resigned on 19 October, stating, "It has become clear to me that whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter I will not be able to fulfill my duties as we both would wish. Nor is it fair to continue to put my family and colleagues through this upsetting and damaging publicity". He continued to maintain that he had not used the word "pleb". The Police Federation of England and Wales issued a statement that it regarded his resignation as the end of the matter, and would seek no further action.
Doubts over police version of events
In mid-December 2012, CCTV footage of the incident was released, which Mitchell insisted backed up his version of events. The footage shows a brief interaction between Mitchell and the police but no crowd of tourists outside the gates.On 18 December 2012, journalist Michael Crick and former The Cook Report producer Philip Braund identified the author of the 20 September email as a police officer and challenged his account. The officer admitted that he had not been present and that the email was false. Police logs and the supporting email had both claimed that "several members of the public" were present, that they had heard the exchange and were "visibly shocked". The email alleged that "Other people/tourists standing with us were also shocked and some were even, inadvertently, filming the incident". However, the CCTV footage shows only a single member of the public stopping to look on from an otherwise empty section of street immediately outside the gates.
It further transpired that Police Federation officers from around the West Midlands who met with Mitchell had claimed that he refused to give his side of events, a claim thrown into question by a recording of that meeting. Mitchellthe MP for Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlandshad met with three representatives from the West Midlands, Warwickshire and West Mercia forces at his constituency office on 12 October to discuss the incident, after which the officers gave interviews about what had been discussed at the meeting. They claimed that Mitchell had not given a full account of the disagreement, but a transcript of the recording he made indicated he had spoken at length about the incident.
Operation Alice
Following these revelations, calls were made for the events to be fully investigated. The Metropolitan Police revealed that the investigation, which had started shortly after the leak of the police log, now had a team of thirty officers investigating the allegations. The operation, "Operation Alice", was led by the head of the Metropolitan Police's Directorate of Professional Standards, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Pat Gallan. On 23 December, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe returned from his holiday to promise "a ruthless search for the truth" of the affair.It was reported on 24 March 2013 that ten police officers and one civilian were suspected of involvement. Seven of those officers and the one civilian fell under Operation Alice, with the investigation into the three Police Federation officers, Ken Mackaill, Chris Jones and Stuart Hinton, being a separate investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
The police submitted their report to the Crown Prosecution Service on 28 March. It contained evidence of alleged leaks, but not that officers had lied about what Mitchell said. The CPS indicated that it was unhappy with the file, referring to it as "initial papers" and saying that they were awaiting the conclusion of the investigation. At the same time, Mitchell started libel proceedings against The Sun, the paper that broke the story. On 31 March, as a result of the apparent leaking of the report, he lodged a complaint with the IPCC, accusing the police of a continued campaign to destroy his career. Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs committee, said that this illustrated why his committee had always called for the investigation to be run by the IPCC rather than by the police themselves.
By April 2013, Operation Alice had cost an estimated £144,000.
On 5 September 2014, it was reported that the investigation's conclusion revealed the police had obtained the mobile phone records of the Political Editor of The Sun without his knowledge, through use of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, and in breach of the usual safeguards for the protection of journalistic sources. They were thereby able to unmask the identity of the whistle-blower. The whistle-blower alleged that one of the officers said "right, we can stitch him up".