Cesar Chavez (journalist)
Cesar Bermejo Chavez is a Filipino government official and former media executive currently serving as the chief of staff to Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno since June 30, 2025; a position he previously held in 2021.
Before returning as Moreno’s chief of staff, Chavez served as acting Secretary of the Presidential Communications Office, appointed by President Bongbong Marcos on September 5, 2024, succeeding Atty. Cheloy Garafil. He stepped down from the role on February 28, 2025.
Early life and education
Chavez originates from in San Jose, Camarines Sur. He completed his Bachelor of Arts in political science from Adamson University in 1989. He later obtained his Master in National Security Administration from the National Defense College of the Philippines in 2000. In 2008, he earned his Doctor of Philosophy in Peace and Security from Bicol University.Media career
While a student at Adamson University, Chavez joined DZRH in 1986 as its youngest reporter. He served as the assistant vice president and director for news and public affairs at Manila Broadcasting Company, one of the Philippines' largest radio networks. Additionally, he was the general manager of the Nation Broadcasting Corporation/DZAR, where he oversaw the station's operations and programming.Government service
Chavez has held various positions in government service. He served as the chairman and chief executive officer of the National Youth Commission from 1998 to 2000 and commissioner-at-large of the same body from 1995 to 1998. From 2014 to 2015, he worked as assistant general manager of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority.In the transportation sector, he served as assistant secretary for rail from September 2016 to February 2017 under the Department of Transportation, and became the undersecretary for railways of the agency until November 2017.
Chavez was the chief of staff of Manila mayor Isko Moreno until 2021. Chavez said he resigned in order to return to MBC. Chavez then served as undersecretary for railways from July 2022 to December 2023 again under DOTr.
File:Cesar Chavez taking his oath with Bongbong Marcos as PCO Secretary.jpg|thumb|Chavez taking the oath as the acting Secretary of the Presidential Communications Office before President Bongbong Marcos on Malacañan Palace, September 5, 2024
Presidential Communications Office (2023—2025)
On December 6, 2023, Chavez was appointed by President Bongbong Marcos to be the presidential assistant for strategic communications under the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office. Before his appointment as assistant, he was first offered to be the Press Secretary after the resignation of lawyer and blogger Trixie Cruz-Angeles.Chavez faced rebuke when he posted on social media a supposed presidential proclamation declaring December 22, 2024 as a half-working day; later in the day, after it was disseminated by other government agencies, it was disowned by the communications office. Chavez apologized as he posted content that was not verified by him.
On September 5, 2024, Cheloy Garafil stepped down as the Secretary of the Presidential Communications Office for her appointment as the Chairperson and Resident Representative of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office. Chavez was then appointed as Acting Secretary of the Presidential Communications Office after subsequent changes were made in the palace press office.
On February 20, 2025, he announced his resignation officially stepping down on February 28, 2025, Chavez didn't mention the cause of his resignation, although he said that "I have fallen short of what was expected of me." On February 24, 2025, Jay Ruiz, a veteran broadcaster and journalist succeeded him as Ad Interim Secretary.