Puntland–Somaliland dispute
The Puntland–Somaliland dispute is an ongoing dispute and conflict over the provinces of Sool, Sanaag and Cayn of Togdheer regions between the self-declared Republic of Somaliland and the Puntland state of Somalia.
Background
1894 border
The territory was historically part of British Somaliland, a British protectorate that was granted independence in 1960 and then formed a union with neighboring Italian colony Trust Territory of Somaliland to form the Somali Republic. When the Somaliland War of Independence was concluded and the Somali Civil War broke out, Somaliland declared independence from Somalia in 1991 as a successor state to the British protectorate and declared independence from Somalia.The dispute started in 1998, when Puntland was formed as an autonomous state of Somalia and declared the region as part of its territory based on tribal affiliation of the locals.
Clan border
Puntland claims Sool, Sanaag and Cayn based on kinship ties with the regions' dominant Darod clans. Somaliland claims the territory as part of the original boundaries of the former British Somaliland protectorate, which the self-declared country regards itself as the successor to. Fighting between the two forces led to casualties and captured prisoners, who were later exchanged.In 2010, the Dhulbahante clan declared the independence of the HBM-SSC, and when that failed, in 2012, proclaimed the independence of Khatumo State, claiming all three territories for themselves independent of both Somaliland and Puntland, thereby forming a new, third faction in the conflict. However, Khatumo State also lost territorial control around 2015.
Sanaag
Sanaag is a disputed region, claimed as sovereign territory by Somaliland and Puntland State of Somalia.One of the battlefront as of 2021 is between Yubbe and Hadaftimo.
The dispute with the Transitional Federal Government stems from the passage of the new Charter in November 2004. However, this was not a pragmatic issue until the military successes of the government in the 2006–2009 war in Somalia. Assertions of sovereignty in January 2007 by the TFG leadership sparked riots in Somaliland.
On 1 July 2007, the state of Maakhir was declared in eastern Sanaag. The polity's leaders claimed independence from both Puntland and Somaliland, but Maakhir was later officially incorporated into Puntland in January 2009.
On 20 July 2013, an agreement between local elders in the south of Sanaag Region and the Government of Somaliland led to the defection of the fighters in an attempt to combine the previously warring forces. "We had discussions and we agreed to work together on security in the area," Somaliland information minister Abdullahi Ukuse, adding that "the defecting force is made up of 500 fighters, 13 technicals and six lorries. These fighters were previously adversaries of the military. The two forces are now one army." Other sources estimated that somewhere between 500 and 800 soldiers defected and integrated with the Somaliland National Army. A defecting Khatumo state commander said he was happy that he joined the Somaliland troops, promising to help beef up security in the region.
On 12 June 2014, heavily armed Somaliland National Army entered Hingalol town. According to Puntland MP Abdihakim Abdullahi, they arrived in 13 battle wagons and were repeatedly told by local elders to leave the town or they would encounter resistance. Puntland elder Garad Abdullahi Ali Eid similarly indicated that before the Somaliland forces' began their march toward the area, Puntland clan elders had met with them and requested that they not enter the town ahead of a scheduled June 15 clan convention.
Sool
Sool is a free region, claimed as sovereign territory by both the Somaliland and Puntland State of Somalia. Under the government of Siad Barre, Sool was not a separate region, but part of the larger Sool province, with the capital city of Garowe. It was separated from Nugaal in the 1980s.According to the UN Security Council, on 17 September 2007, fighting broke out between forces loyal to the self-declared independent republic of Somaliland and the semi-autonomous region of Puntland in Laascaanood, the capital of the disputed Sool region. Although the fighting started as a result of intra-clan tensions, it continued sporadically through September, drawing security forces from both Somaliland and Puntland and resulting in a high number of casualties. My Special Representative and his team urged senior Somaliland and Puntland officials to de-escalate the situation and reduce tensions in the region. In October, the situation in the Sool and Sanaag regions deteriorated further, with increased fighting between both parties. On 15 October, after heavy fighting which resulted in at least 10 deaths, Somaliland troops took control of Laascaanood. In the aftermath, Puntland mobilized its forces to regain control of the area and repel what they considered an invasion by Somaliland authorities and foreign elements. Somaliland rejected the allegations and vowed to continue the struggle until the region was liberated. In Sool, clashes were reported in Taleh on 28 November between armed men from the Dhulbahante clan and Puntland forces. Those clashes reportedly resulted in the killing of 12 people, including 11 civilians, and injury to several others. Somaliland was relatively calm. Isolated armed clashes were reported in the disputed Sool, Sanaag, and Cayn regions on 27 and 28 November. Tension was high in early December following reports of a military build-up along the border between Somaliland and Puntland, but no further incidents were reported. Tension between Puntland and Somaliland increased over the contested Sool and Sanaag regions. The visit by the President of Somaliland, Ahmed Mohamed Mohamoud Silanyo, to the coastal town of Laasqoray in the disputed Sanaag region on 16 March triggered a military build-up from both sides. Accusations made by senior Puntland officials that Somaliland was supporting Al-Shabaab further strained relations. Somaliland refuted the allegations and called upon the Federal Government to intervene. On 15 April, Somaliland deployed its forces to the disputed Sool region and, on the same day, occupied the town of Taleex. The troops left the town the next day, after less than 24 hours. Tension in the disputed Sool region grew when Somaliland forces seized the town of Taleex on 12 June and disrupted a conference organized by leaders, elders and supporters of the self-declared Khatumo State. The tension escalated when the Government of Puntland reinforced its military presence in the contested region. On 26 June, Somaliland forces withdrew from Taleex, leaving behind a pro-Somaliland Dhulbahante militia. The Khatumo leaders relocated to Saaxdheer, an area in the Sool region near the Ethiopian border, from where one of the Khatumo founders and a parliamentarian, Ali Khalif Galayr, was elected the new President of Khatumo on 14 August. On 27 August, Somaliland forces captured Saaxdheer and have since occupied the area. In the northern region of Sool, claimed by both Somaliland and Puntland, fighting resulted in several deaths among various rival Dhulbahante sub-clans with opposing loyalties to Somaliland, Puntland and the Khatumo aspiration. Armed Forces of Somaliland intervened in the fighting and are currently based in Sadher, near the Ethiopian border. Western areas of Somaliland remained relatively peaceful, while the Sool, Sanaag and Cayn regions experienced intermittent armed clashes between Somaliland forces and militias supporting aspirations for a new state of Khatumo. In February, attacks by Dulbahante militia supporting the separatist Khatumo movement against Somaliland forces in the Sool and Sanaag regions resulted in the death of one Somaliland and two Khatumo combatants; the security situation stabilized in March, however.
A rebellion of the Dhulbahante clan in Las Anod in December 2022 led to the secession of the clan from Somaliland and they declared the establishment of SSC-Khatumo in February 2023. In August, Somaliland forces have retreated to the area of Oog, and confrontations with the insurgents have continued. However, as of April 2024, it is confirmed that no major fighting has occurred.