Aziz was originally a Northwest Semitic Phoenician-Aramaic-Hebrew-Arabic word, but is now much more commonly known as a Central Semitic Arabic male name. The feminine form of both the adjective and the given name is Aziza.
Aziz in Arabic is derived from the root ʕ-z-z with a meaning of "strong, powerful" and the adjective has acquired its meaning of "dear, darling, precious". It is a cognate of Hebrew oz עוז meaning "might, strength, power". The Semitic word refers to the "power and glory" of deities and kings. In the Latinised form "Azizus" it is attested as the name of one of the who ruled Emesa as clients of the Roman Empire.
In ancient Levantine mythology, Azizos or Aziz is the Palmyrene Arab god of the morning star.
The Arabian goddess Al-Uzza, also related to the planet Venus, is named from the same root ʕ-z-z and is one of the three daughter goddesses mentioned in the Quran.
Al-Aziz is one of the names of God in Islam, and the word is also used as a royal title borne by the high nobles of Egypt, being a title borne by the prophet Joseph in the Quranic Surah-e-Yusuf, and also by the Biblical Potiphar, referred to in the Quran as Aziz.
It is used in existing Semitic languages such as Arabic, Assyrian Neo Aramaic, Mandic, Hebrew, and also in non-Semitic languages like Turkish, Kurdish, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Persian, Urdu, Pashtu, Dari, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Uzbek, Uyghur, Balochi, Bengali, Somali, Indonesian, and Malaysian.
Aziz is a common masculine given name, especially in the Muslim world but it has also continued to be used by indigenous non-Muslim peoples in the Middle East, e.g. Assyrians, and Mandeans.
- Azeez Abu, Nigerian beach soccer player
- Azeez Al-Shaair, American NFL football player, outside linebacker
- Azeez Shobowale Shobola, Nigerian footballer
- Aziz Ansari, Indian-American stand-up comedian and actor
- Aziz Azion, Ugandan R&B singer-songwriter
- Aziz Behich, Australian footballer
- Aziz Ibrahim, British guitarist
- Aziz Mian, Pakistani singer
- Aziz Nesin, Turkish humorist and author
- Aziz Sancar, Turkish scientist and 2015 Nobel laureate in Chemistry
- Aziz Shavershian, Russian-Australian bodybuilder and internet personality of Kurdish descent
- Aziz Yıldırım, Turkish businessman
- A. M. A. Azeez, Ceylonese civil servant, educator, social worker
- Ade Azeez, English footballer
- Dan Azeez, British boxer
- Fatima Azeez, Nigerian badminton player
- K. P. A. C. Azeez, Indian film actor in Malayalam cinema
- Ramon Azeez, Nigerian footballer
- Aaron Aziz, Singaporean actor
- Arif Aziz, Azerbaijan artist and educator
- Douglas Aziz, Assyrian Iraqi footballer
- Gamal Aziz, also known as Gamal Mohammed Abdelaziz, Egyptian former President and Chief Operating Officer of Wynn Resorts, and former CEO of MGM Resorts International
- Lisa Aziz, British television presenter and journalist
- Michael Aziz, American engineer
- Philip Aziz, Canadian artist of Lebanese ancestry
- Riza Aziz, Malaysian producer
- Shaukat Aziz, Pakistani Prime Minister
- Tariq Aziz , ethnic Assyrian former Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister under Saddam Hussein
- Tariq Aziz , Pakistani field hockey player
- Tariq Aziz , Pakistani TV personality
- Tipu Aziz, Professor of neurosurgery at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford University